Postal managers are one of my weaknesses (one of many), I always try to find one that is better than the previous one because it is one of my main work tools. I have changed many during the last years, and I am afraid that I will continue doing it from time to time. I find one that surprises me very pleasantly and it is Missive app.
Missive app is a cross-platform app
The missive is available on the iPhone and on the iPad or the Mac. It is available almost anywhere, as it also has an app for Android and another for Windows. And if by some chance you have a Linux account or you are on a computer that is not yours, you can access the entire service from the web. It is the advantage that hybrid apps have, which are available anywhere with the same functions and the same interface.
The disadvantages of a hybrid app such as Missive are also present. For example, it is noted that its interface is not fully integrated into iOS. It does not follow Apple’s style guides as much as other apps do, and it generates a somewhat uncomfortable situation if you’re a design freak like me. Something similar happens with many other apps of a very high level as they are Todoist. In his favor, the app has many customization options. Everything has to be said.
I do not remember exactly how I came across the app. Although I do remember that it overwhelmed me at the beginning, I had too many things! That is why it is best that you take a look at the main functions to get an idea of what you will find before you try it:
- Integration with virtually any mail service: Gmail, iCloud, Office, Hotmail, AOL … The app synchronizes with the most popular accounts and also offers the option to perform a manual configuration if it is a proprietary server or a more peculiar account.
- Integration with social networks: Why limit yourself to emails? The missive also allows you to connect Facebook Messenger or Twitter accounts, for example. In this way, we can see in one place the messages that arrive through these platforms, ideal if we take, for example, an account in social networks of work to answer clients.
- Dark mode, transparent mode, mixed mode, whatever you want style: The app has different themes so we can choose the one that is most comfortable for us to use. We can make dark only the sidebar, several sections of the app or even the bodies of the emails. Also, it also has different sizes for typography.
- Customization of gestures and endless keyboard shortcuts: Gestures are vital in cleaning the input tray. You can customize the number of options you want by sliding to the right or the left, also what functions to assign to these gestures. Also, the app has keyboard shortcuts to do all your work without touching the screen or use the mouse if you want. It also supports Gmail keyboard shortcuts.
- Default answers: You can create a kind of “templates” to respond faster to emails that are usually repetitive or create this type of mail more quickly.
- Rules to automate the Inbox: For outgoing emails or incoming emails we can define rules type “if it comes from such person or contains such a word, sends it to such folder or add that label.”
- Conversations and searches pinned: This function I liked it, you can save in the sidebar some emails, chats or searches to access more quickly. If, for example, you are looking for management by mail, you can always have it there by hand.
- Send later, confirm the reading or reprogram Functions that in recent years have reached most of the apps. It is not harmful to mention them. We can schedule for an email to be sent at a particular time or date. We can ask to be notified if the mail has been read or we can receive an email at another time or date if we do not want to take care of it at a particular time.
Designed for work equipment, ideal for individual use
So far, we have seen all the functions that the app was designed for “normal” use of it. But there is more, much more. Missive app is a service that is intended to be a post office manager for teams and organizations. This does not spoil the user experience, but it enriches it if you want to give it an individual user. Some functions it has for teams are:
- Create organizations: For example, an organization with all the members of the company or department in which you are. In this way, you have easier access to a common content of the app.
- Share emails: One thing that can be shared in the same organization are the emails so they are visible to the whole team (or to specific people) even if only one person has received it. It is also possible to share an email through an automatic link that is generated for each email.
- Chat and comments: Each mail and each mail conversation has the option to open a chat in which the members of the team can participate. Ideal to discuss things in common among all about the mail in question before answering or deciding something.
- Assign tasks and labels: The emails are usually “tasks” to do. Therefore, we can assign them to specific people within the team or directly label them so that it is easier to organize them or that certain people are in charge.
- Write collaboratively: Effectively, you can write an email between several people, as if it were a Google Docs.
- API for integrations: The app has almost no limits; it has its API so that developers can integrate Missive into external software or with the internal apps they use in the company.
Missive app for iOS and macOS
The missive app has three different price plans. Each of them offers different options. So, to opt for one or the other is up to each one and their needs. They are the following:
- Free: Most features with a limit of 5 accounts connected and a maximum of 15 days of history. This means that the oldest emails of 15 days will not appear in the app or searches. They will be in your account, but Missive will not synchronize them.
- Starter: This plan costs eight dollars a month and allows you to store and access a history of up to 6 months. You can also add accounts like Twitter. It is a plan that already thinks of professional users or companies.
- Productive: The history becomes unlimited, shows you and synchronizes everything in your email account. Its price is $ 12 per month. It also allows access to more advanced functions such as rules or API.