Pregnancy is a special time for a woman. A period of tremulous joy and experiences, high hopes and fears. Every future mom has it differently. If the state of health allows, then you should not completely limit yourself in the usual joys and entertainment. Many prospective parents are concerned about the safety of travel during pregnancy. The opinion of doctors is that if the pregnancy passes without complications, the trip is not contraindicated.
The best period to travel during pregnancy
The most favorable period for travel is the second trimester, from the 14th to the 27th week of pregnancy. Immunity is already strong, the body has adapted to its new position, and the term of labor is not yet close. This time, when toxicosis recedes, the tummy is already noticeable, but it still does not hinder movement, the state of health, the appetite and mood of the woman improves significantly.
Rules for choosing travel during pregnancy
Doctors strongly recommend choosing tours:
- active and extreme recreation
- with a long flight over 4 hours
- to countries requiring additional vaccination
- to countries with low levels of medical care
- to countries with a climate that is very different from the usual
It will be safer to go to countries with similar climatic conditions and time zone. Give preference to a relaxing beach holiday or unhurried walks and excursions.
When is it better to refuse to travel to a future mother?
Assess the state of health of the expectant mother and finally decide on the possibility of going on a trip should a doctor who leads the pregnancy. In some cases, obstetricians and gynecologists impose a ban on any travel.
There are a number of contraindications to traveling in position. These include:
- excessive vomiting
- threatened miscarriage
- pregnancy due to IVF
- exacerbation of any chronic diseases
- anemia 1 and 2 degrees
- increased risk of abortion
Doctors warn about the dangers of traveling a pregnant woman alone and recommend that you go with a reliable person who can help in any situation.
Travel During Pregnancy: Which transport is better to choose?
To leave only pleasant impressions from vacation, you need to decide in advance on the type of transport. Thoroughly weigh all the disadvantages and advantages and choose the most appropriate and comfortable way of transportation for the future mother.
The most obvious advantage of air transport is the speed of movement. A couple of hours in the air is undoubtedly better than a long, tiring road. And the most significant shortcomings are recognized as sudden pressure drops during takeoff and landing, which has a negative effect on the circulatory and cardiovascular systems. As a result of vasoconstriction, a surge in blood pressure is possible. And also there are great risks of placental abruption, especially if there is a predisposition to this, or similar problems have previously occurred.
If the choice fell on this transport and the gynecologist observing the pregnancy, it is approved should adhere to the following recommendations:
- it is better to choose a seat at the aisle, for smooth movement
- when wearing a seatbelt, it is important not to pinch the stomach, but to position the belt below its level
- every hour in order to avoid puffiness it is necessary to stroll through the cabin
- sitting in place periodically knead the hands and feet
It is necessary to familiarize yourself with the air carrier policy regarding pregnant women. Some companies impose restrictions on flights depending on the duration of pregnancy at their discretion. And also to clarify which package of documents on the state of health will need to be provided.
This option may be suitable if the path is not long. Unfortunately, the “green” parking at the bus is not so frequent and a long road sitting in a narrow chair without traffic will not be useful.
- If, however, the bus ride is to come, the following tips will not be superfluous:
- if possible, choose a comfortable bus with air conditioning, toilet, and seat belts
- try to get a seat away from the wheels and in the first half of the cabin, there is less shaking and swaying
- periodically change body position, perform light warm-up of hands and feet
- it is advisable to have a warm travel blanket and a pillow under your back
A car as a vehicle is convenient because you can stop at any time and in any place. It is better to do this at least once per hour and for at least 10 minutes.
It is important to correctly adjust the seat belt so that it passes below the abdomen and does not pinch it. If possible, you should choose good roads, even if it increases the travel time. Shaking for several hours can trigger uterine tone.
A car refrigerator with a supply of food and water will be a good help on the road.
In order to avoid varicose veins and thrombophlebitis in a long way, it is worthwhile to discuss with your doctor the possibility of using prophylactic compression underwear. This may be stockings or pantyhose.
Rail transport is the safest way to travel during pregnancy, according to doctors. A woman can fully lie down and rest at any time. There is no shaking inherent in the car and pressure drops as during the flight.
If you buy tickets for a CB-car or a coupe, you will be able to avoid excessive crowds and the trip will be even more comfortable. Regardless of the class of the car, the regiment of the pregnant must necessarily be lower.
How to avoid motion sickness?
Even if a woman has never before encountered the problem of motion sickness, then travel during pregnancy this ailment can affect her regardless of the type of transport chosen.
Motion sickness may manifest as dizziness, sweating, headache, tinnitus, nausea, vomiting. There are no approved medications for motion sickness during pregnancy. The following guidelines will help prevent this unwanted condition:
- before the trip and in time it should be excluded from the diet “heavy” food, do not overeat too much and hit the road on an empty stomach
- you should not read or play phone while driving
- well distract from listening to your favorite music
- lollipops with mint and lemon taste will help to avoid nausea
- in advance in the pharmacy, you can buy a bracelet from motion sickness for pregnant women
- Feeling unwell, try to relax and fall asleep.
Some useful tips
To go on vacation with a light heart, a sense of security and confidence should consider some of the nuances:
- in addition to the standard set of documents, you must have on vacation a copy of all examinations and tests related to pregnancy
- It is recommended to contact an insurance company specializing in pregnant women and purchase a policy or carry sufficient funds for unforeseen medical expenses
- it is advisable not to lose contact with your doctor during the holidays. If possible, discuss this with the gynecologist and ask for a phone number or email for communication in an emergency.
Pregnancy is a great time to wait for a miracle, it is not worth overshadowing it by refusing to leave and travel. Having planned the preparatory stage responsibly, the vacation will be safe and will bring only pleasure, a surge of strength and a lot of positive emotions!